Live. Learn. Love.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Simplicity

It's been about a month now since I started volunteering, and this week has been challenging. With my community of volunteers, we live out simple living, which is one of our main values. These past couple of weeks, I have truly embraced simplicity. I changed my spending habits such as cutting back on dining out. I definitely appreciate simple living because it helps me see joy in simple pleasures.

I don't even notice my changed lifestyle at times. We find free things to do on the weekend using Time Out New York, a really useful magazine if you're looking for things to do in NY. Just last weekend, I went kayaking with a friend in the Hudson River. It was great to be outdoors and enjoying the beautiful weather. It doesn't even bother me that I can't afford to go to concerts or movie theaters on the weekend. The best things in life really are free.

But this week I have been feeling tempted to go shopping. Maybe it's just a combination of factors creating this urge in me to consume. Work was hectic, and I worked all seven days of this week. My weary state of mind is causing me to think I need to buy something pretty to cheer me up. I am hoping that after a full day's rest tomorrow, I will be back to my normal self and embracing simplicity.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Caroline! What an amazing way to live:) I agree, sometimes the best things in life are free! Thank you for sharing this inspiration!

    TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete